As a Gmail account holder, you enjoy the Google Drive services either through your browser or the Google Drive app. It is possible that you sometimes encounter problems when attempting to access the internet through Google Drive app or even through your browser.
This may be caused by different factors. In this review, we are going to look at the most common causes, explain them and guide you on how to fix them. It’s my hope that the solution to your connection problem lies in this article.
Your Internet Connection
Most connection problems with the Google Drive app are usually due to a poor or improper internet connection. It affects both the Google Drive app and your web browser as well.
Check that your device is properly connected to the internet either through contacting your internet service provider (ISP) but you can also troubleshoot the problem through Windows Internet Connections.
But if you are sure that the internet connection is working properly, you can proceed and consider the issues discussed below as your answer may lie there.
They can come in handy when you are attempting to access Google Drive, especially through the app.
In some cases, it’s common for the anti-virus app you are using to block Google Drive. To fix this problem, you will be required to review the application settings of your anti-virus program.
Different programs have different application settings. As such, we cannot offer specific guidelines on how to go about this. Nevertheless, your aim should be to locate the firewall settings of the program.
From there, you can then enable Google Drive by unblocking it. However, we are going to review on how to unblock Google Drive in Kaspersky Internet Security 2015, McAfee Antivirus and Avast Free Antivirus.
How to Enable Google Drive in Kaspersky Internet Security 2015
Google Drive may be disabled by Trusted Applications in Kaspersky. This mode is enabled by default.
If not, you will be required to enable it so that you can find out the blocking status of Google Drive app. Follow the Steps outlined below.
- Open the Kaspersky app on your device.
- Select Show additional tools. This tab can easily be found on the bottom right of the Kaspersky window.
- Under Tools, press the Application Control link.
- Enable the Trusted Applications feature in case it is disabled under Application Control. This will analyze all the installed applications.
- In the Trusted Applications Mode window, click on the link Go to the list of applications and files to make a decision.
- Find any file with Google Drive extension or addition and open it then select Enable.
- Close the Kaspersky application window.
How to Unblock Google Drive in McAfee Antivirus
Follow the steps outlined below to unblock Google Drive app in the McAfee Antivirus.
- Open the McAfee Antivirus on your computer.
- Right-click on the Context Menu located at the tray icon of McAfee.
- This will take you to the Virus Console.
- Select the Access Protection Properties option.
- Click on Access Protection. This gives you a log of blocked programs and Google Drive may be one of them.
- In case Google Drive is among the blocked programs, unblock it.
How to Enable Google Drive app in Avast Free Antivirus
In some cases, Avast Antivirus may block some web pages or programs from running even though they are safe.
This is because Avast is unable to authoritatively determine the safety of a program or web page and thus will needlessly attempt to protect your device. However, Avast will always notify you of blocked programs through a pop-up.
To fix the issue of Google Drive not connecting, ensure that you have downloaded and installed the latest version of Avast available. If this does not solve the problem, then proceed to repair your Avast installation by following the steps described below.
- Click on Programs and select Uninstall a program.
- Go ahead and choose Repair.
- Proceed to Restart your computer.
It’s also advisable for you to disable scanning of https by:
- Opening Settings and selecting Active Protection.
- Proceed to Web Shield, Customize and Main Settings in that order.
- To the window that displays, click on Un-check for “Enable HTTPS scanning.”
- Finalize on this by restarting your computer.
Alternatively, you can determine whether it’s your anti-virus program responsible for Google Drive connection issues by uninstalling the anti-virus. You can do this by going to Utilities and then uninstall it under Programs and Features.
If Google Drive connects after you have successfully uninstalled the antivirus, then it’s evident that in some way, the software was responsible for connection issues. This requires you to find and install a substitute anti-virus software.
Google Drive Sync
Google Drive connection problems can be solved when you restart the Google Drive. To do this, follow the steps outlined below.
- On your computer’s system tray, find the icon for Google Drive and right-click it.
- Select More which is under the three dots displayed vertically.
- At the context menu, click on Quit Google Drive.
- Complete this fixture by selecting the Google Drive app and opening it again.
Windows Firewall feature is capable of blocking some connections from running. Google Drive connection is no exception as it can as well be blocked.
To fix this issue, you are required to turn off Windows Firewall. This can make Google Drive to connect. To switch it off, follow the steps below.
- At the Start or Cortana, search for ‘firewall.’
- Click on Windows Firewall. This will lead you to settings and options on the firewall.
- To access the options, select Turn Windows Firewall on or off as shown in the image below.
- Select Turn off Windows Firewall and click OK.
Create a New Admin Account
- When you open up a new Admin Account on Windows, the connection issues with Google Drive app can be practically solved. Into the Windows Cortana or Start search box, type ‘account’ and search.
- The User Accounts window will be displayed as shown in the image below.
- Select the Manage other account option and proceed to open the Add a user account page as shown below.
- This page will give you guidelines that you should follow promptly to create a new Admin Account. It’s important that you ensure that the name of the account contains no special (non-English) spaces or number characters.
- Click on the option Change the account Type and proceed to press the Administrator button.
- Choose the Change Account Type option. This will confirm your desired chosen account settings.
- Sign out of Windows and then sign in again using the newly created admin account.
- Finally, you need to set up Google Drive for the new user account.
e-Rewards Notification Program
This applies to those users who have set up the software for e-Rewards Notify Program. If you happen to be one of them, then have no problem. You will be required to uninstall the e-Rewards software.
On Windows, it’s highly advisable that you perform this action using uninstaller software from a third party.
The e-Rewards software sets up automatic network configurations on your computer and directs it to use proxy settings which in turn cause the disconnection of Google Drive.
The enabled proxy setting does not support the operation of Google Drive on your machine.
This software program also starts three different Window services. You can turn off these Windows services by;
- Into the Windows Cortana or Start search box, input ‘Services’ and click search.
- A page as the one shown in the image below will be shown.
- On Services, make a right-click on it.
- Finalize the switch off by clicking on Properties and select the Stop option.
Windows Troubleshooter Program
The Windows operating system comes with an inbuilt Compatibility Program that is designed for troubleshooting purposes.
This program software can help you a lot in solving the problematic Google Drive app that fails to connect properly. All you have to do is to run the Windows Compatibility Program by following the steps outlined below keenly.
- Search for ‘troubleshooter’ after you have to input it into Windows Start or Cortana search box.
- Click on Troubleshooting. This will open the Control Panel page.
- After that, select Run programs made for previous versions of Windows option. A page similar to the one below should be displayed to you.
- Press Advanced and then click on the check box Run as administrator.
- Select the Next option. This will give you the chance to choose a program that you need to resolve and fix.
- From the different programs that will be displayed, choose Google Drive as your desired program to be fixed.
- Press on Next to begin scanning the Google Drive. After the Windows Compatibility Troubleshooter program completes scanning, it will display to you the Google Drive errors it has found and possible for it to solve for you.
Google Drive can be most probably being solved using one of the solutions described above.
However, it is possible that the steps outlined above may not solve your Google Drive app connection issues and errors. In such a case, there are two places that you could pay a visit to solve the connection problem.
First, you can contact the Google Customer Service through the link Google Support. Here, you will be required to describe the exact issue you are facing with your Google Drive app.
Give as many details as the possible. Just ensure that in your report, you are as descriptive as possible based on the errors you have encountered.
Alternatively, you can go ahead to post your question to Google Drive Help Forum. Here, you will be able to post your connection issue to a community of thousands of Google Drive users ready to help you fix your issue.
In case your problem has been encountered elsewhere by a user, then, he/she will direct you on how to go about fixing that problem.